From rainforests filled with waterfalls, the wild Southern Ocean and a pristine stretch of coastline, secluded campgrounds and endless surf breaks - our car was packed, and we hit the road for a week-long road trip camping along Victoria's famous Great Ocean Road. This part of Australia has so much diversity and we couldn't wait to explore it. We chose three epic spots in the area to base ourselves. When our long days exploring turned to night we would get the fire cranking and watch the night sky unfold over the ocean. Here's what we discovered while road tripping through this paradise.
- Sunrise at Teddys Lookout overlooking the Bass Strait
- Longboarding at Lorne Point
- Erskine Falls
- Moons Espresso Bar – Quirky coffee joint with tasty pastries
- Chopstix Noodle Bar – Asian street food at its best!
- Lorne Hotel – Rooftop dining with epic views over the local surf break
We grabbed some local prawns from the fishmonger and cooked up some garlic chilli prawns on the campfire with some Parmesan roast potatoes in the cast iron oven over the fire for dinner!
Stay: Cumberland River Campground – We pitched up a stone’s throw from the beautiful river beneath towering cliffs. A minute walk from the beach
Apollo Bay Highlights:
- Exploring the waterfalls of the Great Otway NP
- Longboarding the perfectly protected waves in the Bay
- Sunrise runs to Mariners Hill overlooking the surf at Apollo Bay below
-Hello Coffee – Local, laid-back coffee house. Our morning go-to
-Great Ocean Road Brewhouse – Delicious local seafood and live music
After a tiring day of adventuring and surfing, we chucked a heap of veggies in the camp oven and made a delicious cosy and warm Thai red curry!
Aire River Campground - Where the river meets the ocean. Camping riverside in complete seclusion!
Port Campbell Highlights:
- Sunset over the Twelve Apostles
- Gibson’s Steps – walking down the famous staircase leading to the stretch of beach along the Twelve Apostles coastline
- Icy swims in the turquoise waters between the cliffs of Loch Ard Gorge
- Grassroots Deli Café – Our favourite spot for morning coffee/chai in the area!
- 12 Apostles Inn – We grabbed some epic woodfired pizzas for a sunset picnic on the beach
Pebble Point - We decided to put camping on hold for the night and upgraded to glamping in the amazing eco tents at Pebble Point. Beautiful spot to unwind for a night in the coastal bushland behind the Twelve Apostles.