Kauai holds a very special place in our hearts. The night we set foot on the island we both knew we were going to fall in love with this place. We walked outside the doors of our apartment, which looked over the coastline leading down to the Na Pali Coast, across rugged mountains with streaming waterfalls, our green garden was filled with mango trees and frangipanis and the sun was setting over the beach right in front of us. We woke up to a rainbow shining above all of this and we knew we were in for a memorable few weeks ahead.
Life is slow paced, laid back and simple on Kauai. The locals are the friendliest people we have ever met and we were so inspired by each individual we came across along our journey.
Our tips for Kauai
1. Stay on the North Shore – Princeville/Hanalei are laid-back, local and traditional island villages perfect for a real Kauai experience
2. Hike the Kalalau Trail on the Na Pali Coast – Best hike we have ever done in our lives. The entire hike is full of constant spectacular views through the valleys of mountains and along the coastline
3. Hike to the base of Wailua Falls – The view from the top is incredible but get to the bottom and have the whole plunge pool to yourself
4. Visit Waimea Valley – Hawaii’s own Grand Canyon
5. Visit Kapa’a – Java Kai is a great coffee and breakfast spot
6. Hanapepe Friday Night Art Walk – local inspiring artists, live music and food trucks
7. Eat at the Dolphin – Sushi bar set on the beautiful Hanalei river
8. Shop at the Hanalei Farmers Market – Visit Hanalei Farmers Market to meet the friendly locals and feast on their fresh fruit, veggies and snacks