Our favourite spots and tips for the perfect Aussie East Coast road trip continued
Crowdy Bay National Park
1. Take the bumpy drive to Diamond Head campground. Beautiful place to spend a few nights camping
2. Hike the Mermaid Lookout walking track – beware of spiders hanging across the track on their webs. Ria almost walked straight into one!
3. Lay beneath the stars here. There is no light pollution at all so it makes for a beautifully clear sky.
1. Swim in the clear waters of the inlet or even drive up to the headland for a incredible view
2. Take the art walk along the breakwall. The rock wall is covered in artwork and paintings that each have their own stories. A unique way to spend a sunset walk
Yamba & Angourie
1. Visit the main street through Yamba. Full of quirky boutiques, surf shops, plenty of healthy cafes and funky restaraunts. Our favourite spot was The Mexican
2. Take a walk to the lighthouse and watch the surfers at main beach
3. Walk the break wall sunrise – keep your eyes peeled for dolphins
4. Have a swim in the calm waters of Whiting Beach. Stay for sunset
5. Head to Angourie and check out the Blue Pools. Jump from the top rock of the first pool.
6. Check out the lookout over Angourie Point, then take the walk down and make your way to the point. Beautiful views down both beaches from left to right. Perfect surf spot
1. Do the lighthouse walk at sunrise – energising and rewarding way to start the day offering beautiful views the entire walk and a sunrise over the ocean from the most easterly point in mainland Australia. Keep an eye out for dolphins and turtles
2. Killen Falls – best to go first thing in the morning before the crowds arrive. Beautiful spot to cool off on a hot day. Pack a picnic.
3. Dalwood Falls – this one is a bit tricky to find but is a hidden local gem. You will more than likely have the place to yourself.
4. Newrybar – Unique little town filled with antique shops and great food. Our pick is Harvest Deli 5. Whites Beach – escape the crowds and visit local hidden beach, Whites
6. Surf The Pass – Although it may be crowded, there are constant peeling waves and the longest ride you will find in the area
7. Eat at Thai Lucy – authentic Thai food
8. Eat at Kinoko Sushi Bar – delicious sushi and Japanese dishes
9. Go and watch or even join in with the local bongo and dance circle held each night at sunset on main beach
10. Visit The Farm. Just on the road into the bay, you will find a working farm offering plenty of good food, coffee and drinks. Take a walk through the beautiful grounds, see animals and a beautiful sunflower field. We packed a picnic rug, grabbed some delicious food and sat beside the sunflowers, enjoying lunch in the sun
Gold Coast & The Hinterland
1. Visit Mt Tamborine – Take a drive to Mount Tamborine to find beautiful views over the valley of the hinterland, leading to the coast. Visit Curtis Falls
2. Springbrook National Park – Hike through rainforests and caves and reach the beautiful Twin Falls. Pack a picnic and have a swim. Head to the Natural Arch – if you like photography you will love this spot
3. Killarney Glen – Head into the hinterland and take the hike to Killarney Glen. A heart-shaped rock pool and waterfall. We scaled the rock walls and jumped into the water to then swim through the tight caves to reach the opening of the heart shape above. Incredible experience
4. Miami Marketta – Spend an evening drinking boutique beers and ciders while exploring the selection of different foods from around the world. Take your food with you as you meander through the unique market stalls
5. Tallebudgera Creek – Good spot for a SUP
6. Kirra – Sunset surf the famous waves of Kirra beach
1. Buderim Falls – take the rainforest walk down to the cascades of Buderim Falls. Relaxing spot for a cool off on a hot day
2. Glass House Mountains – This spot really took our breath away. Our top pick would be to hike Mount Ngungun for sunset. Also, for a great view of all the mountains take the drive to Gardners Falls in Maleny (popular swimming spot) and on the way stop for photos to the left overlooking the valley and Glass House Mountains
3. Hike Mount Coolum – Kick start the day with views over Coolum beach and beyond
4. Noosa Spit – warm, clear waters
5. Noosa Farmers Market – Delicious range of food, smoothies and coffee. Grab an acai bowl for breakfast
6. Noosa National Park – Hike the tracks of the Noosa National Park. Our pick is on a calm day, head down to the Fairy Pools on low tide, local hidden gem
7. Mount Tinbeerwah – Take dinner and drinks and admire the incredible 360 degree views at sunset
8. Watch the sunrise at Cotton Tree