There is so much more to Oahu than calm, turquoise beaches. We found ourselves lost in the culture – the people, the food, the music and the way of life. Hawaiian people are full of life and passion, driven by the simple things. We noticed that so many of the people living on Oahu embrace the natural world around them, encouraging their care-free lifestyle. Everywhere you turn there are fresh fruit carts and live music. We weaved ourselves right into the culture of Oahu.
Our do’s list for Oahu:
1. Surf – No matter what skill level of surfing you have, you can find the perfect wave on this island to suit exactly what you are chasing. From barrels, to longboard lines – you can always find fun crystal clear waves on Oahu.
2. Hike – The best way to see and feel this island. Theres no better feeling than reaching the top of a mountain, especially when you can have a 360 degree view of volcanic mountain ranges and stretches of untouched blue coastline.
Our favourite hikes were
- Koko Head Crater Trail. Despite the difficulty of this,the views and the experience are more than worth it.
- Lanikai Pill Box Hike. The entire hike up to the Pill Boxes offer epic views
- Ehukai Pill Box Hike. Steep trail through lush rainforest leading to a view over Pipeline
3. Eat local – You won’t find food fresher on the island than you will from the local food trucks located on the North Shore.
Our favourite food trucks were
- The Elephant Truck. Delicious authentic Thai cuisine, cooked fresh and fast
- Big Wave Shrimp Truck. Try the coconut shrimp or hot chilli shrimp!
- BBQ Corn Truck. Fresh barbecued corn on the cob
4. Beach hop – Jump in the car and spend the day driving around the island, hopping from beach to beach. There are plenty to choose from